Butane is not only an efficient tool but also a great investment when it comes to soldering metal joints and gourmet cooking. A butane torch is a must-have accessory in a toolkit owing to its versatility. It’s best suited for different types of applications including melting frozen pipes, small scale welding applications, jewelry making and gourmet cooking among others. What’s more, using a butane torch is easy. Plus, it emits flames with a maximum temperature of about 2500 degrees Fahrenheit enough to effortlessly melt different metals like aluminium, copper and silver.
A butane torch is a powerful handy lightweight tool with a standard length of up to 10 inches. Here are a few factors you need to consider when looking for the best butane torch;
You can ignite a butane torch lighter using a manual or an automatic start. This means that you have to choose wisely. Automatic butane torch lighters can be easily extinguished and ignited by simply pressing a button. You have to open and close the igniting valve for manual butane torch lighters to use them.
Burning time is usually the amount of time a butane torch runs when the fuel tank is full. The burning time depends on the torch’s fuel burning efficiency and the fuel capacity. For a standard butane torch, this time ranges between half an hour to an hour and a maximum of five hours for an industrial butane torch. You have to go for a butane torch that works for you depending on your budget and needs.
There are different types of butane torches on the market made from different materials. The material used during construction determines the quality of the butane torch. For instance, light duty butane torches have plastic or metal frames with a brass nozzle while their heavy-duty counterparts also have brass nozzles with sturdy cast aluminium frames.
There are other factors you need to consider when looking for the best butane torch but the ones listed above are the most important.
Best Blow Torch for Mechanics
BUY ON AMAZON
You can refill the gas of the Blazer Butane Torch. This butane torch features a brass nozzle frame and comes with a removable base. The nozzle head emits a precise flame to allow the heat to apply to the object directly. You can use this butane torch for different purposes including making jewelry, brazing, soldering, culinary, dental and plumbing among others. What’s more, the nozzle is anti-flare to help control the flame and keep you safe.
Blazer Butane Torch is uniquely designed to blow out low even when used in different inverted and tilted angles especially in congested areas and difficult to reach spaces. The tabletop base is attachable while the head is angled to allow hands-free use. It additionally features an adjustable flame control knob to help control the heat intensity for different heat application projects. This butane torch uses the famous piezoelectric ignition system basing on a pressurized molecular reaction without an electrical connection.
Blazer Butane Torch can run for 35 minutes consistently without needing a refill when in use. It produces a maximum flame temperature of up to 2500 degrees Fahrenheit when running on a full fuel tank with a 35gram gas capacity. The flame usually ranges between 1 to 5inches. It additionally features a manual lock when not in use and weighs 20 ounces. It operates with a butane canister that you have to buy separately since it doesn’t come with the torch. This butane torch has a sleek black finish that makes it stylish.
- Has a portable and compact design with an anti-flare flame
- Has a 35 minutes burn time
- Is easy to use and operate even in congested areas with difficult to access spaces
- Uniquely designed for both professional and industrial use
- Has an ignition lock for safety and risk-free operation
- Falls on the higher side of the pricing spectrum
- The adjustable flame control knob is not durable
BUY ON AMAZON
Bernzomatic TS8000 Butane Torch comes with an attachable base for stability. It features an automatic on/off ignition system for ease of igniting and extinguishing the torch with one hand. This butane torch is best suited for different heat application projects including heat treating, soldering, brazing and light welding. What’s more, this butane torch can be used to heat up large diameter pipe since it emits a swirl flame that’s known to provide optimal heat output.
Bernzomatic TS8000 Butane Torch features a searzall that’s a crucial attachment. It’s ideal for securing the top part of the butane torch to create the right amount of temperature for a specific operation. This butane torch has a palladium coating with temperature resistance and oxidation. It’s a handy tool for starting woodstoves and camp fires, lighting fireworks and soldering piping. It has a lock button for safety and to keep the lit to allow for a hands-free use.
Bernzomatic TS8000 Butane Torch uses MAPP gas in case you need a refill. It’s made of cast aluminium material to provide long-lasting durability. You can regulate the pressure to make its performance consistent when inverted or tilted temporarily. It additionally features an adjustable flame control knob that helps prevent the flame from flaring. The knob also allows you to increase and reduce the intensity of the flame with ease when switching between different heat application projects.
- Made of cast aluminium for sturdiness and long-lasting durability
- Easy to operate thanks to the automatic on/off trigger igniter
- Has a lock button to allow hands-free use
- Has an adjustable control flame knob that allows you to increase or reduce the heat intensity depending on the heat application project
- Comes with a searzall attachment
- You can fill the fuel tank with a propane gas cylinder
- The company has poor customer service
- The gas tends to leak and the spark ignition is equally poor
BUY ON AMAZON
The Sondiko Store Butane Torch is a worthy investment for those looking for something reliable. You can use this butane torch for different applications ranging from making jewelry, brazing, caramelizing sugar, welding, roasting and crafts among others. It’s fitted with piezoelectric technology which makes it easy to use the torch in different angles especially when tilted or inverted. This butane torch additionally features an adjustable flame control knob that lets you increase or decrease heat intensity depending on the application project.
Sondiko Store Butane Torch is lightweight hence portable for ease of carrying around and transportation especially when camping. This butane torch produces up to a maximum temperature of 2372 degrees Fahrenheit. It features a lock button for safety and also helps prevent accidental ignitions. This butane torch has a wide base for stability as it prevents it from toppling over when in use. It has a sturdy aluminium frame that provides long-lasting durability.
- Can be refilled
- Easy to use and operate
- Has a safety lock mechanism feature to prevent accidental ignitions
- This torch comes with an adjustable flame control knob to increase or reduce the outflow of heat
- Durable and safe to use
- Produces high temperature
- Holds very little fuel
BUY ON AMAZON
Dremel is the best butane torch on the market. Dremel Butane Torch produces variable temperatures and features an adjustable flame control knob for the torch and the standard flame operation. This handy tool is equally portable for ease of carrying around and transportation. You can use this butane torch for different applications including brazing, soldering, shrinking and pipe fitting among others.
Dremel Butane Torch additionally features an automatic ignition button with a safety lock mechanism for a hands-free operation and also to prevent accidental ignition. This butane torch has a burn time of 75 minutes when running on a full fuel tank capacity. Besides, the tank capacity is relatively big and weighs 1.54 pounds. It comes with a 2-year warranty and requires a lithium-ion battery. The accessory kit is versatile and contains nine different pieces including a soldering tip, wrench, deflector, tin, solder, sponge, storage case, blower and flame diffuser.
- Has a large fuel tank capacity with a 75-minute burn time
- Comes with an adjustable flame control knob for flame and torch operation in different temperatures
- Is lightweight and portable
- Guarantees value for money
- Made with a high-quality stainless steel material for long-lasting durability and endurance
- Comes with different handy features such as the filling valve, safety lock feature, fast ignition button, flame control slider to help set different temperatures and an adjustable flame control knob.
- The quality of the Dremel Butane Torch is compromised
BUY ON AMAZON
Power Probe Micro Butane Torch can run consistently for about two hours without a refill. Quite impressive! This butane torch can create a consistent flame for up to a maximum of 2.5 inches with a 2000 degrees Fahrenheit temperature. The torch comes with a storage case and a number of soldering tips. You can use this butane torch for different purposes including loosening rusted bolts and nuts, shrinking, soldering and wrapping among others.
Power Probe Micro Butane Torch a handy tool that uses electricity and comes with unique accessories like a hot knife, solder attachment, blower tip, rosin core holder and heat shrink adapter shield. However, the electronic lighter is sometimes unreliable as it tends to leak fuel. The electronic ignition makes igniting and extinguishing easy. This butane torch weighs 8 ounces or thereabout.
Power Probe Micro Butane Torch is relatively expensive compared to other different models. Plus, its easy to use the kit for smaller household repairs here and there and making jewelry. It’s not ideal for industrial or professional use. You can refill it with butane. It comes with an adjustable flame control knob that helps increase or decrease heat outflow depending on the application project.
- Has a 2-hour burn time when running on full fuel tank capacity
- It features an adjustable flame control knob to increase or reduce the heat outflow depending on the application
- The electronic ignition makes igniting and extinguishing this butane torch easy
- Small in size but big when it comes to application
- A bit expensive
- Has an unreliable lighter and it also tends to leak
- Attaching the tips is an uphill task
BUY ON AMAZON
Bernz – O – Matic Butane Torch is a tiny torch uniquely designed for small tasks and fine detail work that require precision and accuracy. This butane torch is best suited for different purposes including lighting fireworks, soldering, construction, heating nails, using a heat gun and metal and concrete tools among others. It emits a small yet concentrated flame that offers the right amount of heat intensity to see the task to completion. This butane torch has a wide base for stability as it helps keep it in place when in use.
Bernz – O – Matic Butane Torch has a safety lock flame feature for manipulation when soldering. You can also set the flame in different setting including pencil flame, hot air blower and fine soldering tip which makes it one of the best butane torches on the market. It additionally features an in-built push-button igniter with a spark igniting solder tip, consistent run lock button and a hot blower attachment refill valve. You can refill this torch with b9 butane.
Bernz – O – Matic Butane Torch comes with a 3-year warranty although it’s not designed with long-lasting durability in mind. It has a maximum flame range of 1.5 inches and weighs 8 ounces.
- Comes in a portable and compact design
- It features an adjustable flame control knob to increase or reduce heat intensity depending on the heat application projects
- Has a sturdy base for stability as it helps prevent it from toppling over when in use
- Is relatively affordable and comes with a soldering tip
- The soldering tip cannot be replaced
- The safety switch is not easy to operate
BUY ON AMAZON
Tencoz is a renowned brand that’s known to make reliable products and the Tencoz Professional Kitchen Cooking Torch is no exception. This cooking torch is best suited for both home bakers and professional chefs. You can use the torch for different purposes including lighting a fire, searing meat, sous vide, cigars, bar cocktails, dabs, flambe, barbeque and camping.
Tencoz Professional Kitchen Cooking Torch additionally features a piezoelectric ignition that ignites and extinguishes the flame quite fast. This butane torch provides a continuous flame of up to about 6 inches long at a maximum temperature of 2370 degrees Fahrenheit. It comes with a gas flow regulator that lets you adjust the heat intensity depending on heat application project. The best thing about this butane torch is that it has a security lock to prevent any accidental ignitions and mishaps.
Tencoz Professional Kitchen Cooking Torch is also fitted with an in-built finger guard to protect you from extreme burns and heat when in use. This butane torch is made using ABS plastic and TUV CE certified aluminium that is ergonomically designed for sturdiness and long-lasting durability.
- Is ergonomically designed to provide long-lasting durability and sturdiness
- Features an adjustable flame control knob to increase or reduce heat intensity depending on the application project
- It comes with a protective finger guard to protect you from extreme heat and burns
- Is multi-functional
- Easily refillable
- It can be used by both professional chefs and home bakers
- They don’t have a reliable customer service
Choosing the Best Butane Torch
Here are a few factors you need to consider when looking for the best butane torch on the market:
Butane torches usually come with a range of applications. The large powerful ones are used for different plumbing works such as sudation joints of water lines. A butane torch uses high temperature up to a maximum of 2500 degrees Fahrenheit to melt soldering pipe connections. It therefore helps join the pipes.
A butane torch is a handy tool it can be used for different kitchen purposes. Less powerful and relatively small butane torches can sear a roasted meat crust to brown or produce a caramelized shell. Most butane torches used in the kitchen usually reach a maximum temperature of 1500 degrees Fahrenheit.
Butane torches are made with different materials and that’s what determines their quality. For example, heavy-duty butane torches have frames made of cast aluminium with brass nozzles. Plus, high-quality butane torches usually emit multiple flames. Their light-duty counterparts also feature brass nozzles with metal or plastic construction on the handle and body. Before buying the best butane torch on the market, ensure you check whether the construction suits your needs.
Butane torches feature either manual or automatic ignition system. Those with automatic ignition systems are easy to use and operate although they fall on the higher side of the pricing spectrum. These torches are ignited and extinguished with a simple click of a button. Butane torches with manual ignition systems on the other hand are relatively cheap but a bit cumbersome when it comes to usage.
Manual butane torches are cumbersome since igniting and extinguishing is quite a process. To start off the process, you have to open the valve to release the butane gas through the brass nozzle. You’ll also have to use a flint starter to ignite the butane torch and close the valve when you are done to turn it off.
The best butane torches on the market usually have an adjustable flame control knob right behind the top part of the torch. You can close or open the valve by turning the knob to increase or reduce the intensity of the flame depending on the heat application project at hand. What’s more, the adjustable flame control knob plays a significant role when it comes to the overall performance of the butane torch.
The required length of the flame usually depends on type of work at that time. For example, if you are making jewelry, then a short flame would be ideal and a longer flame will come in handy when brazing. Besides, you can adjust the quality of the flame to different inches according to your personal specifications up to a maximum of 5 inches without spattering or extinguishing.
The best butane torch should reach optimal temperature of up to 2500 degrees Fahrenheit. The light should also emit a steady flame in different weather conditions including the windy ones.
Burning time is the amount of time the butane torch runs on a full fuel tank capacity. There are two factors that determine the burning time of a butane torch – fuel holding capacity and burning efficiency. Standard butane torch models offer up to a maximum of an hour when running on a full fuel tank capacity. Commercial and industrial butane torches can run for 5 hours continuously without needing a refill.
If you are looking for a butane torch for intermittent use, then you can go for one with a 30-minute maximum burn time. It’s always advisable to use a powerful butane torch when dealing with large scale plumbing projects so that you don’t have to stop to refill every so often. Buy the best butane torch that suits your needs without refilling it before the task is done.
Most butane torch models don’t offer a great refueling experience and this means that efficiency is compromised. When shopping for the best butane torch on the market, check if it the refueling system is secure for ease of refilling. You should also go for models with appropriate fuel level indicator, refill size and sturdy base for extra safety especially when refilling the butane torch.
Ease of Use
The best butane torch should have an ignition and flame control feature as the two determine the torch’s ease of use. You can know the two features in detail by looking at the following:
- Butane torches with manual ignition systems are usually relatively cheap but quite cumbersome to use especially with the flint starter.
- Most butane torches usually come with an adjustable flame control knob that allows you to increase or decrease heat intensity to your personal specifications depending on the heat application project.
- Some butane torch models have an attachable base for stability to prevent it from toppling over. The attachable base also allows for a hands-free use.
A butane torch is a flammable tool but has a feature to help prevent any accidents. Most butane torch models with automatic ignition systems usually have safety locks to prevent any accidental ignitions. This also helps avert young children from lighting it up.
An automatic ignition system is the safest option when it comes to butane torches compared to their manual counterparts. The use has to light the butane torch after opening the valve to release gas. If you delay lighting up the butane torch, then the released gas tends to build up in the air and can burst into flames when you finally ignite the torch. With automatic butane torches, you can easily ignite and extinguish them with a press of a button to prevent any of these accidents.
One of the most important features when choosing the best butane torch is that safety lock feature as it helps shield users from any accidental burnouts. The safety lock feature is equally handy for first-time users and those who have young children around the house. It helps prevent leaks when the butane torch is not in use and also avoid accidents when using the butane torch.
Most modern-day butane torches come with some extra features for ease of use on different heat application projects. For instance, there are a few butane torch models with gauges used to measure the amount of fuel remaining in the torch after use. Other models have different attachments for different functions including soldering tips, paint removal blower tips, diffusers and shrinking insulation deflectors. Always be on the lookout for the extra features when shopping for the best butane torch on the market for your heat application project.
One of the best designs of a butane watch is an ergonomic handle, a removable base and a lightweight frame for convenience and ease of use. You can also check out the design especially if you are looking for ultra convenience. You can use the tips below:
- Always go for a butane torch that is less noisy when in operation.
- Always go for a butane torch with an attachable base for hands-free use and an anti-slip grip for stability and safety when using it.
- Always go for a butane torch model with a leak-proof construction and one that features an adjustable flame control knob to help prevent the flame from flaring when in use especially when tilted or inverted.
- Always go for a butane torch with a wide base to prevent injuries and accidents. Fortunately, thanks to advanced technology, most butane torch models come with detachable and adjustable bases to allow one-handed operation or hands-free use. It also prevents collapsing since it allows you to line up things and heat them without necessarily holding.
Butane torches usually come in varying lengths up to 8 inches long. The size of the butane torch you choose to go for depends with the type of heat application project you intend to use it for. For instance, a small handheld butane torch will come in handy for those looking for a portable option that’s ease to carry around or transport especially when camping. You can go for bigger models if you want one your garage or other household repairs.
Butane torches with a wide range of accessories can be used for different functions and different professionals including DIY enthusiasts, automotive repairs, chefs and plumbers. You can hold the butane torch effectively and perfectly well without slipping even with sweaty palms if it has a rubber grip.
Butane torches are available on the market in different models with varying price range. When shopping for the best butane torches it’s always advisable to compare the features, quality build and come up with an estimate budget range. You can choose one that’s best suited for your needs according to your budget. Don’t buy a butane torch with extra features that you won’t find useful for the type of project you intend to use it for.
There are few brands that offer warranty for their products. When looking for the best butane torch, check if the product has a warranty as it comes in handy during repairs and replacements.
Why Do You Need a Butane Torch?
A butane torch is a small, lightweight, portable and compact handy tool used for different applications and purposes. Plus, it’s easy to use and operate ideal for these applications:
Culinary – Professional chefs usually use butane torches in the kitchen to get a tasty flavor in melting cheese, vide steak, baking, caramelizing sugar, toasting bread, general cooking and grilling seafood. The steak will not overcook at the center since it tends to sear rich colors and textures. A butane torch is also an excellent choice when it comes to making burnt sugar garnish into a dish.
Small Repairs – Butane torches are multifunctional which means you can use them for household or personal tasks. They produce flames up to a maximum of 1430 degrees Celsius ideal foe melting metals like copper and aluminium. It also features an adjustable flame control knob that allows to increase or decrease the flame intensity depending on the heat application project.
You can use butane torches for different purposes including paint stripping, soldering electronics, plumbing repairs, rope cutting, thawing and defrosting frozen pipes and welding.
Making Jewelry – A butane torch is a handy tool that allows you to make top-quality jewelry like the sterling silver ones. When looking for the best butane torch for this specific purpose, choose one with a precise melting capacity soldering, one-hand operation and welding torch. The flame should equally be precise and accurate.
Refilling Butane Torches
Most butane torches require refilling occasionally depending on their maximum burn time. Here are aa few tips tat will come in handy when refilling a butane torch:
- Always ensure the butane torch is completely turned off before starting the process
- Drain the remaining air or fuel from the butane torch before refueling or refilling. You’ll hear and even feel the escaping sound of the fuel or air.
- Use the safety lock feature to prevent any accidental ignitions especially when the butane torch is not in use. Ensure the gas flow valve is completely turned off as well.
- You can now refuel or refill the butane torch after following the above steps to the latter.
- Observe the nozzle used for refueling or refilling the butane torch by turning it upside down
- Shake the butane canister to warm up the gas
- Attach the filler nozzle to the canister to refill or refuel the butane torch
- Insert the cylinder’s tip to the nozzle then push it to refuel or refill butane gas
- At this point, the nozzle will start generating pressure causing fuel to flow into the butane torch
- Remove the canister or gas cylinder from the butane torch when it’s full. You’ll know this when it shows with a wet spray at the back.
- Wait for 5 minutes before using the butane torch
- To prevent any accidents and injuries, thoroughly wash both your hands and the torch area before using the butane torch.
Using a Butane Torch
Here are some tips on how to use a butane torch effectively for the best results:
Use the lever on the side to turn on the butane torch. It will produce a hissing sound when you turn on the gas flow control lever as the gas will be slowly blowing out. Press the ignition button for the butane torch o start producing flames. You can adjust the heat intensity to set the appropriate flame size.
Blazer Butane Torch is the best butane torch on our list. It comes with an attachment and has different unique features like an adjustable flame control knob, aluminium construction for long-lasting durability, automatic ignition system and a pressure regulator.
The blow torch for mechanics is best suited for brazing, soldering, light welding and heat treating. It emits a swirl flame which makes it ideal for using on large diameter pipes.